Wednesday, September 23, 2020

September 23, 2020 - Staff Reviews



Guilty Minds
By Joseph Finder
Release Date: July 20, 2016
Audiobook Available from WV Reads!


3 Stars - This political thriller made for a quick read. While this definitely has plenty of D.C. drama going on, party politics and elections were on the fringes. I enjoyed the quick and changing pace throughout the novel. An easy audiobook listen for any action fan starring everyday man hero Nick Heller. While I found the story a bit generic, it was exciting all the way to the end.

A unique writing style grabbed my attention. While all the scenes moved quickly with plenty of dialouge, there was also a lot of description of people and places. The narrator Holter Graham did a good job but maybe not a great job. He is great for Nick but terrible at times with side characters' voices. This felt like the perfect road trip book. At times, I was definitely not really listening either distracted by life or zoned out. But I didn't feel like I got lost so take of that what you will. I really enjoyed the perspective of Nick who gave us first-person view. He was equal parts tough and serious then funny and laid back. 

The Nick Heller series is a short if popular one for thriller fans. This was the first time I dabbled in it but I didn't feel like missed important details. I had read Finder's work before with mixed results. I didn't care for a couple titles over the years but I loved Power Play. This plot focuses mainly on a scandal sheet story, and the details are really well fleshed out. I got enough tidbits of intrigue to keep me entertained. While I'm sure some would complain in the beginning not much is truly happening. About halfway through, we switch to a murder mystery. I didn't enjoy all the characters though. Such as Dorothy who is the hip hacker sidekick of Heller's. She got in my nerves in a chirpy/whiney way and not just the voice Graham gave her. I didn't quite understand using Nick's father, who isn't a fun addition. Overall, I would say this is a series I will probably revisit in the future but doesn't have me dying to get to the next entry.
(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.