Thursday, April 1, 2021

April 1, 2021 - Staff Reviews


 

The Governess Game
By Tessa Dare
Release Date: August 28, 2018
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


4.5 Stars - Delightful regency romance featuring a stubborn heroine who happens to land a governess job. And a likable rogue (of course) who finds himself guardian to two troubled but funny little girls. Dare's penchant for quirky and quick but utterly fun storytelling shines here. I wouldn't say this book was especially original but definitely worth the read.

Alex starts off the story as a down-on-her-luck clock repair girl. Her backstory was unique and intriguing, having lived a quiet, cautious life after a turbulent childhood. I have to give Dare credit for packing so much character development into the first quarter of the book. I was also charmed by Chase and his role as reluctant guardian by then. He's in a unique position of just so much responsibility. And his subtle indulgence for Rosamund and Daisy is adorable. All the sparks between this two felt real from their meet-cute to the first kiss and so on.

Tessa Dare's book are hit and miss for me. I loved A Week to Be Wicked, for example. But I couldn't get into the first entry in this series The Duchess Deal. All the "Beauty & the Beast-ness" bored me. In comparison, I think I liked that Chase was just an average man. He considered his soul and reputation to be grisly rather than his appearance but he didn't seem to have an insurmountable pile of baggage. The way Alex, her attitude, her love of astronomy and all intrigued him came across as genuiene. And he wanted better for her than himself. Seldom do I truly like the pace a couple in a romance has, but I was hooked the whole way. There are some old-fashioned bodice ripper elements here but for the most part, the story could easily be turned into a modern movie with a nanny and a businessman. Every time I thought I things were settling down or wrapping up, I actually ended up enjoying it a little more. Fans of period romances I'd say give this one a try, maybe even a reader new to the genre.

(NS)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.