Wednesday, November 3, 2021

November 3, 2021 - Staff Reviews


Open Season
By CJ Box
Release Date: May 7, 2002
Ebook Available form WV Reads!


3 Stars - A very original, fast-paced first in a series. I'd say this was more thriller than mystery but written at an excellent pace for a short novel. This very rural, slightly graphic story isn't every readers' cup of tea but I can see why there's many Joe Pickett fans out there. 

So, overall, this was a quick and exciting read with a lot of unique things I liked but also many I did not. Not sure I can see myself continuing the series. But I was glad to have obtained a free library copy and finally know why it is constantly recommended to me. Joe Pickett's a good guy. A refreshingly everyday hero who actually has managed to have a family and obtain his dream of becoming a game warden. But, in my opinion, Joe's not very bright and somehow he lacks experience as he steps up into his mentor's shoes. Despite the short length of the novel, all characters are well developed. David Chandler also is an excellent voice for Joe and his crew.

This is an early novel so I would hope Box has improved in his plotting since. Despite this being written almost 20 years ago, you don't miss the computers and cell phones, etc. It doesn't feel all that dated. Time to discuss the things that bothered me... a lot. A man is murdered in the yard and this family takes not one single precaution after that. In fact, the mom is proud her daughters are out there playing days later. Um, no way. Here's the thing for me: Sheridan and I would be the same exact age. In 2002 at 7 years old, no way my parents don't have any inkling what I'm up to. I would have at least liked it better if Sheridan had shared her secrets and her parents told her she was imagining things. That would have at least felt real. I just couldn't get over the blindness Joe and his wife had for the danger the family was in. And I wasn't very surprised who ended up being behind all the drama. Worth noting, this is not a book for the squeamish. Like I said, this is well-written early series book that no doubt will engage many new readers but it's not for everyone.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.