Monday, June 22, 2020

June 23, 2020 - Staff Reviews

Wrath of Poseidon
By Clive Cussler & Robin Burcell
Release Date: May 26th 2020
*Ebook Review - Available from WV Reads!*

https://wvreads.overdrive.com/media/4942736

4 Stars! - Fans of this series or just treasure hunting tales should pick up this
book. I didn’t want to put it down. Going back in time refreshes the likable Fargo
saga but anyone new to the series can start here too. The island locale and exciting
plot make for a great summer read.

One of my favorite things about the Fargo series and the way Cussler and his
counterparts write it is they don’t rehash all the other adventures. A passing
mention of another treasure or experience usually comes as an inside joke. However,
as someone who has read all the all entries over the years, I found taking Sam and
Remi back to when they first met to be a delightful way to shake up the series.
While a few things here and there with the timeline had me scatching my head, I was
enthralled with the story of the first rescue, early villians, and new treasure tale
all against the backdrop of Greece. I would recommend this to anyone in the mood for
a fast-paced thriller absent spies and politics.

I’ve been told some people don’t enjoy Cussler’s work because of an abundance of
detail. Admittedly, I find myself slogging through some prologues and seemingly
extra historical perspectives to get to the heart of the story. Also don’t mind a
heavy dose of action unreality such as a revolver beating an Uzi. A few of the last
chapters did feel a bit drawn out but I didn’t want it to end so. I find this series
superior to its British cousin - Chase & Wilde by McDermott. And I think it more fun
than the historical Peabody/Emerson series by Peters. Romance readers would enjoy
the Fargos’ banter and affection for one another. But that always takes a backseat
to the action, chase scenes, escape plots, and some good old fashion swashbuckling
style fun.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.