Tuesday, March 16, 2021

March 16, 2021 - Staff Reviews


Still Knife Painting
By Cheryl Hollon
Release Date: June 30, 2020
Audiobook Available from WV Reads!


1.5 Stars - I just couldn't finish this. The writing was not awful and of the other reviews I glanced over, the majority enjoyed it. I didn't like Myranda and her POV is the only one. Plus, I was really looking forward to a cozy mystery set in Appalachia with maybe a little extra grit and atmosphere and it was clear that was not to be.

The basis of this book is heavily in the blurb. There's more detail about Myranda's business woes and painting methods, etc. than there is clever dialouge or enjoyable quirkiness. Hollon is not a new author so I think her style just does not suit me. And Courtney Patterson's voice performance came off dull as dishwater, though she did fairly well with the accents. The Mid South is a tough settings to really capture as it's definitely not the North or the Deep South. Myranda's lack of real hometown affection or roots came through much clearer than her fondness for her uncle's property. 

Myranda could be a little judgey, which is fine with me even if I'm relating to the mocked, less than the mocker. But it has to be funny, not touchy opinions. A few things really kept me from being able to finish this. I find painting boring (but art lovers will probably appreciate the finer details of painting class and locations more than I do.) We don't refer to any hillside in the mountains as a "cliff". I hail from West Virginia so I know. Hollon's bio suggests she's lived and worked all over the world and is based in Florida so likely her other settings work better. This was obviously just mismatch between my expectations and the author's writing skill set. If you like an art-themed cozy starring a shy heroine with minimal swearing and light on the romance, this short novel will probably entertain you. If you're hoping for a Kentucky girl like Stephanie Plum, I'd say to pass on this book.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.