Friday, March 19, 2021

March 19, 2021 - Staff Reviews


Waiting on a Cowboy
By Jennifer Ryan
Release Date: August 18, 2020
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


3 Stars - A satisfying little suspense thriller, my first read from Ryan. The plot's solid with Liz finally trying to find love outside her relationship with her best friend Tate, a rancher and part time womanizer. Her new boyfriend turns into a stalker and things get dicey. I was intrigued from the beginning but I can't say this book truly hooked me.

Ryan's writing style was good but not great for me. The dialouge and settings were a bit flat. I didn't really feel I was reading a western or a small town romance. Liz was sweet and determined, down to earth as she likes beer and tv. Her job and her home were sort of vague, but she's blessed with good friends and family. Her flaw seems to be that she's impulsive at the worst times, jumping into a relationship with Clint and bumping into him later. Tate is discovering his true feelings for Liz while trying to keep her safe.

This wasn't a short romance but I read it quickly, which is both good and bad. The stalker storyline is well executed, never going dull and never fading into the background. The whole dirty video thing didn't work for me. The issue becomes Clint never really became scary. He was wild enough the cops should have had evidence way earlier. The romance was sweet instead of hot here with a few steamy scenes. But for reading about childhood friends, I would have expected a few more fond, descriptive memories for context. There was a lot of telling, not showing. Tate and Liz both just needed a bit more boring day sides of their personality. I felt their connection but not much for each of them as individuals. This is an easy read, probably best suited to fans of Lori Wilde and Jill Sanders.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.