Wednesday, August 25, 2021

August 25, 2021 - Staff Reviews



The Paladin
By David Ignatius
Release Date: May 5, 2020
Audiobook Available from WV Reads!


2 Stars - A well written but problematic spy story. I was new to this author and admittedly drawn in by the blurb and short running time. I have a handful of complaints but I honestly can say I enjoyed the book overall, so it's possible this just wasn't suiting my mood or I needed to mix it up. Poor agent Dunne just cannot catch a break but his life story is an interesting ride.

I couldn't quite call this a thriller as there's little action and most of the mystery is intellectual in nature. Ignatius has a style that I enjoyed, despite spending a little too much time here and there on details and an absurd timeline. The characters and dialouge felt real, if a bit dry. Michael Dunne is sort of a sorry hero. He's got a tattered past and is not the brightest bulb. Some readers will easily sympathize with his personal and professional issues and other will roll their eyes. I can't get much into details without giving away the whole plot.

Things that really worked for me first. I liked  the characters were written like real humans with flaws and quirks. I enjoyed the Pittsburgh area settings especially, as he gave history and context to a city that's always been underused in movies and fiction. Guidall's audio performance was excellent as always. Plotwise I just needed to be actually busy while I listened to this book instead of wishing it kept me on the edge of my seat. There's different books for different times. What didn't work at all was the time hopping. The stories did not feel separate enough to justify not telling in order to add entertainment value. At times, I already knew what was coming so I didn't care to listen to the scene. As I stated earlier, Dunne comes off less James Bond and more Maxwell Smart. I get he's a more analytical hero than an action one. But I'm not actually a spy so it was hard to appreciate his skill set here. Clancy always did a much better job of this concept in his Jack Ryan novels, in my opinion. Overall, this is a good road trip or work day audiobook but don't expect it to keep you focused while cleaning or commuting. You might feel like it's dragging or get easily distracted.
(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.