Friday, September 17, 2021

September 17, 2021 - Staff Reviews



The Chase
By Elle Kennedy
Release Date: August 6, 2018
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


3 Stars - I struggled with this hero and heroine quite a bit but still had fun. This one's light on the hockey but heavy on the push/pull between the couple. Kennedy's work is always entertaining and this was an easy, steamy read for when I needed something light on intensity.

So, Elle Kennedy just doesn't write enough books for me. But this one was one of a few I skipped over because I just couldn't get started. I couldn't really connect with the main characters right off the bat because I have like nothing in common with either of them. But I love her dual POVs. Summer and Fitz are equal stars in this romance. Summer's got this golden goddess thing going but she's actually pretty down-to-earth. Fitz is reserved for a hockey player and practically leaves the antics to his friends. They have this semi-tortured brother's friend/roommate saga going on. The book is mostly just about these two though, not much going on outside their relationship. 

We get hints early on about Summer getting into trouble with a faculty member at the school. And that becomes one of a few side plots like Fitz's job search and setting up Brenna's book. Basically, Summer's rich but struggles with ADHD and a lack of direction. None of those are problems I have, but the girl is trying her best so I give her credit. Fitz was like a slew of guy traits that I don't get too. He immediately comes off very real though. I just have gamer friends and plenty who love tattoos and art, etc. None of it is part of my lifestyle so it was a bit lost on me. His attempts to control his emotions where Summer was concerned were kinda cute at first, but his reasoning for holding back was questionable. His and Summer's way of handling things with Hunter was awful. I still wish I loved the Briar U series like I did the all the Campus ones. The Risk being the exception and spectacular. We get some cameos from that crew but this is a total standalone for anyone looking to get hooked a new adult series.
(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.