Wednesday, September 8, 2021

September 8, 2021 - Staff Reviews


The Bounty
By Janet Evanovich & Steve Hamilton
Release Date: March 23, 2021
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


3 Stars - Mixed feelings abound for the characters as well as me as a reader here as this series makes a slight pivot to a new style. Kate's not sure how to deal with Nick anymore when he veers off their project's course to help out his scheming dad. And I enjoyed the subtle switch from less comedy but more action.

I was really excited for this because I enjoyed both Alex McKnight and Stephanie Plum so these authors together were something I couldn't pass up. Anyone new to this series won't feel completely left out starting here. We start off with a good recap of Kate's relationships, life, and personality. I know this is a "Fox" and O'Hare novel but it's mostly about Kate. She has about 100 thoughts for Nick's 10 or so. Kate's got a total tomboy personality, that's maybe a bit overdone at times. But her family dynamic with her dad and her sister cracks me up because they remind me of my own family, minus the actual cool skill set for destruction and hobby of globe-trotting to fight crime of course.

There's so much about this series I grew to enjoy. That keeps me coming back to it despite thinking they were boring at first. The premise is basically the tv show White Collar but with the will they/won't they thing going on with Nick and Kate. This time there's more action, and I smell Hamilton's influence here. There's still some humor from Evanovich's main line and the weird thing she has about throwing in endangered species. Two things about the plot I think readers should know though is that it lacks the romance and adventure vibe it seems to be marketed as. Evanovich recently seems to have had here interest in the Indiana Jones movies rekindled, but I wasn't getting that feel. And despite Nick and Kate doing less of the belligerent sexual tension thing, it's still not romantic but for one or two paragraphs. What this book does extremely well though is an overall fun dynamic with a convulted treasure hunt with Nick, Kate, and their dads. Everyone's easy to like and the excitement is paced beautifully. I was never bored and it was an easy book to pick up and not put down until the end.

(NS)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.