Friday, October 1, 2021

October 1, 2021 - Staff Reviews


The Gritty Truth
By Melissa Foster
Release Date: October 9, 2020
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


2 Stars - A sweet but slightly dull romance from the talented Melissa Foster. Our hero Quincy is a good man, trying to overcome a terrible past with the help of his MC friends. And he's also patiently courting the skitish but sweet former dancer Roni, who has some rough patches in her own history.

I've only dabbled in Foster's fairly extensive booklist, and it's hit and miss for me. Her heroes are cool but they're not my favorites. Quincy has a past as a drug addict that's obviously difficult but he came through a thoughtful, caring man. He's not quite tough though. I mean there's plenty of mentions of his toughness, he's supposedly all badass biker with tats and scars. But he's like pretty sensitive on the inside. I even rolled my eyes a time or two at his lines and inner monologues. Roni's shy but not standoff-ish. I can't quite picture her as a dance performer with her personality but she's unique. Quincy is insanely patient with her inclination to hold herself back.

This story is mostly about the character's back stories, which isn't my favorite thing either. Roni's grandmother has already passed away but there's so much focus on the time growing up with her. Quincy's friends are great and got him over a lot of stuff, helped make him the man he is. But, this all translates to nothing happening except some new couple dates. Consequently, I struggled to get into this one and had no problem putting it down. I'm not a hardcore fan of MC romances or the lifestyle but this almost felt too tame, for lack of a better word. Around the 1/4 mark, I felt like I was reading an expanded epilouge of the other couples and all their super sweet lives. They basically run this cutesy small town? It was a little weird for me but different. Around the halfway point, things finally start to heat up, both romantically and plotwise. But it was kind of too little, too late. The writing is just a bit flowery but Foster still manages to keep me entertained. This was less than exciting but it won't stop me from trying other offerings from Foster.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.