Saturday, October 16, 2021

October 16, 2021 - Staff Reviews


Reckless Road
By Christine Feehan
Release Date: February 9, 2021
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


2 Stars - Branched outside my comfort zone a bit with this story that part romance, part MC, and part paranormal. Even though early on I struggled to get engaged, I was really intrigued by Zyah and Player. But I'd say it's more suited to fans of the series and author, don't start here.

The first quarter or so of the book, my interest waivered a lot. The hook up mentioned in the blurb was about the only real "thing" that happened here, and the actual sexy times were just recapped. I was hoping for suspense rather than steam with this so that was okay. But I wasn't very invested because I just kept getting told about the connection between Player and Zyah, not feeling it. Zyah was a softy and an etheral girl, while Player's immediate regrets and concern regarding her sort of undermined his tough guy persona. I mean that in a good way. But he was a real jerk to her to start off so I think we needed more.

The series obviously has a few books before this, and I learned this wasn't an easy one to jump into. A few things that bothered me early on was it felt like a lot of name dropping and so much info about characters other than the main couple, sometimes moreso. With the exception of Zyah's grandmother, none really stood out. And the passage of time between scenes/chapters felt vague. I'd never read Feehan's work before and I sensed a lot of heart under the wordiness. But I had trouble filtering through it. So maybe if a plot of hers really intrigues me or I have more attention to devote to a series I'll return to her. In theory, this book has a little something for everyone. Steaminess and romance, a touch of paranormal, some MC stuff, side couples, intrigue. I just felt like I needed more of one thing or another in particular to really ground me to the book. And it didn't hold my interest enough as a result.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.