Wednesday, February 23, 2022

February 23, 2022 - Staff Reviews



Me Before You

Jojo Moyes

3 Stars


https://wvreads.overdrive.com/media/965198


Though there is the element of romance to this book, it is very light in the sense that it is clean and is NOT the main focus of the book. The book touches upon a very sticky subject. Assisted Suicide. It also touches upon death and quadriplegics. So for some any of those could be a trigger. There is another topic but I do not want to give it away as it is part of the main characters life; but it is devastation to people it happens too, and if you read enough through the book you start to guess as.


It is worth a listen/read. I listened to it and enjoyed the narrators (there were multiple). I felt the author did a nice job writing, but I was not particularly thrilled with the characters and their actions. The main character Lou just bugged me at times (including her boyfriend who I really wanted to run over with his own bicycle). She was a character written to be someone who lets things just happen and doesn't speak up.  In the end, the why makes SO much sense.


Her family treated her poorly in my opinion and I have no clue how her and her sister never threw down as her sister was just selfish. Made me dislike them to where I just wanted to throw the book at a few of them.


But, the story is intriguing and kept me coming back. The ending was inevitable and was not surprising too much.  I tried to listen to the second book that falls after this since it is a trilogy, but I am not sure if I can finish it. The same issues I have with not speaking up and taking a hold of ones life annoys me.


This is a book club read for the BCPL and I am hoping to have a good discussion on what others felt about it. I also am not sure if I will give the movie a try, but am interested enough that one day I might.


(AS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.