Tuesday, December 29, 2020

December 29, 2020 - Staff Reviews


 Have You Seen Me?

By Kate White
Release Date: April 28, 2020
Audiobook Available from WV Reads!


3 Stars - Haunting tale from the viewpoint of a slightly amnesiac financial planner and frustrated wife. This was an easier read than many twisty mysteries and the plot flowed so that it was easy to just keep turning pages. Allie was also one of the more likable heroines in this dark genre, though she did come off helpless at times. A must I think for fans of domestic thrillers.

This book is very straighforward in some ways, and I found that refreshing. There's only Allie's perspective and a small circle of characters, not too difficult to keep track of for the reader. I admit there's no romance, no down time, pretty much non stop franticness from Allie. The times we do take a breather are a bit dull. There's a lot of food mentions, like where coffee or takeout is from. Allie's past of course comes out to play but she despite a somewhat rough childhood, her relationship with her brother and her father was sweet.

The narrator was very good, minimal complaints. Distinguishing character voices but the Boston accent for one felt over the top, and Allie's voice was a little monotone. It's hard to say much about the plot of this one without spoilers. And I found the settings mostly unremarkable. But the beginning was downright chilling. I was spooked thinking of showing up at an old office like I still worked there. How many times do we 9 to 5s do that stuff on autopilot? I actually really liked the PI as well, was glad to see someone in a mystery of this kind finding help and taking charge. On the other hand, I hate using therapy as a plot device in novels. At the same time I listened to this, I read Ghost by Sawyer Bennett and drew the same conclusion. It's so much telling/not showing and vagueness. Overall, I was even guessing the next twist as I went along but surprised almost every time. I wasn't in love but the biggie twists but I admit I didn't have it all figured out even bt the end. The last couple hours of listening I was on the edge of my seat. 

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.