Tuesday, December 8, 2020

December 8, 2020 - Staff Reviews


Carolina Breeze

By Denise Hunter
Release Date: May 19, 2020
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


3 Stars - A cute romance that wasn't quite as country as I expected. We follow the adventure of recently semi-graced Hollywood star Mia while she's staying at the hero Levi's quaint BlueBell Inn. There's a hint of excitement and mystery. The story honestly felt a little drawn out but I wasn't bored. An easy read perfect for relaxing.

Mia's thankfully not a diva/bombshell and surprisingly down-to-earth. Although, I find myself always a bit unsympathetic toward runaway celebrities. Plenty of stars have moved to small towns and lead fairly happy lives so it's not like that isn't an option. And Mia's a bit too naive, and sometimes I disliked being so in her head. Levi's admirably put his big career on hold to take care of his practically grown sisters and run the inn. The way he tries to jump in and keep Mia's presence at the inn a secret was sweet too.

This was my first read from Denise Hunter, and I admit I was drawn in a little by the cover and setting. But the South here didn't feel very vivid. A couple conversations about the lack of an uber/taxi and fried bologna weren't enough for me. Also Hunter's word choices got a little redundant at times and I wished she would mix it up a little. There were so many droll and wry looks. But for being a simple story, I was always engaged. The dialouge wasn't corny and this was obviously part of a sweet series. I'd say readers of Nora Roberts, Debbie Macomber, and maybe even Christian romance would enjoy her work. Pacing wise, the scenes with Molly and her boyfriend bogged me down. Though I admittedly came to the series late, maybe it was more exciting for Molly fans. But I would have preferred those trimmed from the book to keep things moving along more.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.