Friday, February 19, 2021

February 19, 2021 - Staff Reviews

Stone Cross
By Marc Cameron
Release Date: March 31, 2020
Audiobook Available from WV Reads

https://wvreads.overdrive.com/media/4835082


3 Stars - Likable and gruff US Marshall Arliss Cutter takes on a few tough cases here. The story is full of Alaskan, rural atmosphere. And Cameron has a slew of interesting characters from heroes to villians to victims. I'm not sure I could classify it as an action thriller but it's going to appeal to fans of the genre.

Cameron's writing style is so blatantly masculine that sometimes I get a bit disconnected listening to it. There's just something so straight forward and unromantic, it doesn't quick stick with me. But never-the-less, he is crafty with both the mystery angles and suspense. My big complaint was the sexual assault details that felt entirely wrong to me. He does try to infuse some worldiness too, throwing in Kipling references and mystery fan favorite Occam's razor, etc. Cutter's a good lead character. He's pretty much the Chief Deputy US Marshal you picture, but in a satisfying way. He is older and griseled and basically righteous. He does have a family but it's more so one he has adopted. Also, his coworkers at the marshal's office are unique and cool, all quite enjoyable to read about but not stand-out memorable. 

We're all sucked into protecting a frustrating, self-absorbed judge. And then this victim couple attacked by shady bad guys and held hostage. These people and scenarios are well set up. Simple and easy to picture. This book was just a little dull, I have to admit. I'm not sure how when there was a lot going. At one point over halfway through, characters actually point out all the crimes/craziness and said basically no one noticed or cared because they were isolated up in small town Alaska. Like oh well, just another day in the life for these people. I can't say I'd ever gotten that vibe from law enforcement characters before this. I'd say this series is a good fit for Stephen Hunter fans, maybe even Ace Atkins or Brad Thor. As for myself, I'll probably only return to this series if something in the description really appeals or I'm looking to fill some time.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.