Wednesday, February 24, 2021

February 24, 2021 - Staff Reviews


 All the Way
By Kristen Proby
Release Date: August 21, 2018
Ebook Available from WV Reads


2.5 Stars - Just about anything I read from Kristen Proby I enjoy. However, this series is far from my favorite. Her heroine London is trying to find a new life for herself and admirably struggling to recover from recent events. In the meantime, she meets Finn Cavanaugh. He's her charming and considerate next door neighbor. All the hang ups here are London's though and Finn was admirably patient. This book felt a bit one-sided.

I felt this book had three parts to it. In the beginning, London is a former dancer trying to bounce back from an injury, and I admit she had my support and showed a real soft side. But then she became harder to like as we went. Finn was everything a hero should be. He was sweet, caring, and cool. But... I thought he was a bit boring. I'm still not sure why he was a lawyer other than the opening scene and some cheesy dialouge. The second third of the book moves into really steamy scenes, but also there's random travel and some whining from London. The final third morphed into suspense which was a pleasant surprise.

I think I needed more from Finn's viewpoint as the majority was London's. This book started off like it was about three people, including his niece. Gabby was also an issue for me in the 2020 release "After All". Truthfully it felt like Proby couldn't decide which age this girl should be. I thought she was 12 or 13 until the end of Chapter 3 revealed she was only ten. I get kids are growing up faster today but Finn's time with her didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Their relationship and London's connection with her was a lot of early page time. Refreshingly, there was little push/pull between Finn and London, their relationship growing at a steady pace. The bickering actually felt forced, like they were just too perfect together. London's brother's role could have been fleshed out much better. Dealing with a close relative with addiction isn't a topic often tackled in fiction though it is suitably dramatic. Everything got resolved so hurriedly that I was yearning for the good times earlier in the book. 

(NS)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.