Wednesday, May 26, 2021

May 26, 2021 - Staff Reviews


 

Beautiful Lawman
By Sophie Jordan
Release Date: December 26, 2017
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


4 Stars - This short and sweet romance was just plain fun. I actually was disappointed that it ended because I wanted the story to keep going, and I think there was still some left to tell. Down on her luck Piper and tough guy Hale were perfect for each other. Jordan's pacing was excellent, had me turning pages nonstop.

Piper was dealt a bad hand but she was still doing her best with minimal complaints. It was refreshing how she didn't constantly whine. Her decisions weren't always top notch but she tried so hard to take care of herself and her little sister. Hale was a bit rough around the edges and very committed to non commitment. I couldn't say he "chased" Piper. But he did win her over with support and safety, not just looking hot in a uniform. Hale doesn't show his soft side much mostly just the alpha one, but he was good for Piper.

Their relationship was oddly not instalove but also instantly attracted. Also, I wouldn't have called this a slow burn, but it did take considerable time for these two to make it official. The Devil's Rock series grabbed my attention with Hell Breaks Loose but I felt it was all steam and little substance. This was a complete flip. The two leads didn't really get into bed until late in the story. Also it reads like a standalone. I didn't think it would spoil any other entries in the series. Jordan wrapped up the back story/mystery in an excellent bow, but I wished she had drawn it out more. I felt like we could have had even more cute moments with Piper's siblings becoming a bigger family with her and Hale. There were a few opportunities for additional suspense out there. Certainly this storyline from the dive bar job to the shady rental property to the scuffle at the station are not original. And I would not call the dialouge sparkling. But really I found everything likable and this to be an easy and enjoyable read in all aspects.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.