Wednesday, May 5, 2021

May 5, 2021 - Staff Reviews


 

Ride the Tide
By Julie Ann Walker
Release Date: November 24, 2020
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


2.5 Stars - My first forray into another military romance series. I wouldn't call this novel just a pleasant read but it's easy and interesting, if a bit unoriginal. Alex is a smart, pretty sassy little heroine ready to take on not just adventure but tough guy Mason, who is determined to dodge her. Walker's writing flow took some getting used to for me, and I'm not sure I really settled into it by the end. 

The dialouge is a bit too quirky for me. Even some of their inner thoughts were weird. The overexplanations and some unusual word choices here and there came off a bit disjointed as well. But I liked Alex even if her main purpose early on seemed to just be a late bloomer virgin bookworm out to tempt the hero. Of course, Mason has a cool name to match his cool personality and skills. He has more baggage than an airport and is too damaged for Alex and her innocent state. They make for a cute eventual couple though, him with his alpha side and her ready to give him a challenge.

This book probably would have been a lot more fun for me if I didn't feel like I'd read it so many times before. Or maybe if I'd been tempted more by the first two books in the series and started there. This is probably somewhere in the middle steaminess meter. And the suspense side is a little higher. About the last quarter of the book was where the excitement really rolled. But for me personally, there was a bit too much talk and not enough action. No one was even in danger to start with, and the whole sunken ship search didn't get enough attention early on to get me on board. I will say it's got a slightly better military atmosphere than some romance authors use, even though Mason and his friends are technically retired. We've also got obvious plugs here for potential future couples. I can't say I'm excited to grab the night one, but I'd keep it in mind for a time filler read. I'd say fans of Susan Stoker, Pamela Clare, and the military romance set may find a new author to love here. 

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.