Friday, July 2, 2021

July 2, 2021 - Staff Reviews


 

Total Power
By Kyle Mills
Release Date: September 15, 2020
Audiobook Available from WV Reads!


3.5 Stars - A fast-paced, easy listen for any action thriller fans. Personally, I think Mills has taken Flynn's series over in a great way. Maybe a bit colder, more concise stories but still a lot of fun. This one will have the reader ready to stockpile supplies and remembering we don't always have enough friends in high places. At least, Rapp's here to help save the day of course.

Vince Flynn has written some of my favorite thrillers but I haven't tapped into the huge Mitch Rapp series in awhile. I actually saw this tagged as a prequel and was a little lost when details of Rapp's life made it clear I had missed a lot. Never the less, I was able to follow the plot and get back into the all the high intensity action that makes up his every day. He's a highly skilled operator but always manages to have a human side too, an everyday guy side that makes him easy to read about and even like. Guidall's voice performance is excellent as always.

Mills has easily transitioned all the familiar Flynn character faces to his own. Many I recognized like Scott Coleman, Irene Kennedy, and Marcus Dumond but there were some new to the story and series too. A few were obviously recent additions I was unfamiliar with but only a few. I figure this plot was written prior to all the craziness of 2020 but man, did it end up feeling real. No matter your political beliefs, I think we're tired of the government telling us how live our lives when they don't accomplish much themselves. Of course the power outage scenario is not entirely original but as Mills' author note points out, it's extremely relevant. All this said, post apolocalypse stories are not my favorites. Everyone turning on each other, stockpiling, and all that is interesting but all the danger elements end up the same so. The description had me thinking they were stopping this attack but in fact, everyone spends plenty of time in the dark. Still, it's fun to see Mitch and his friends dealing with the kind of crisis that could befall us any day.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.