Friday, July 30, 2021

July 30, 2021 - Staff Reviews

 

The Rivals
By Vi Keeland
Release Date: July 13, 2020
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


3.5 Stars - A spiteful but sexy story that is an ultimate hate-to-love romance. Weston Lockwood and Sophia Sterling are at odds with each other from the first page, and I dare say are downright mean to each other for quite awhile. But about halfway through, the walls wear down, and these two make a fiery and fun couple.

I really was not hooked by the first few chapters of this. In fact, I think I quit it twice and returned to it. The beginning comes off like this is a comedy with a hard edge, but it's really not. Weston and Sophia both had a cold, rough childhood with their families. They are wealthy in money only, showing, in my opinion, that privilege is relative. Weston's hang ups and sordid past were pretty understandable. But he does manages to overcome them. Sophia is a bit harder to like but under her brash exterior is a sweet center.

This novel is full of harsh attitude and some R rated sexy scenes, I should probably note. But underneath that exterior is a lot of heart, much like the two leads. I loved Weston's relationship with his sponsor. Scarlett's brashness contrasted well with Sophia's uptightness. Everyone was easy to root for in this one. Vi Keeland is hit and miss with me. I either love her book or I hate. A lot of the hero types and tropes she uses, I don't care for. And I am never satisfied with her books with Penelope Ward. But her characters always have a lot of personality, and sometimes the plots don't have much danger but manage to be exciting. And her writing style has a great flow. I almost never get bored once I'm hooked and could read the rest straight through. I'd recommend trying to slog through the first few chapters if this author or this plot intrigues you as a reader.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.