Thursday, August 20, 2020

August 20, 2020 - Staff Reviews


Hidden
By Rebecca Zanetti
Release Date: September 25, 2018
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


2 stars - I felt a little misled by the blurb, but I stuck around. The first few chapters were engrossing and the plot kept rolling, even if it was all a bit far-fetched. For romantic suspense fans, Zanetti's writing style is great for killing a few hours. But I felt like I needed more romance or action or mystery to really hook me and I got a little of each instead.

The whole book is almost too wishy-washy.  Pippa's had a rough go, but she's still a likeable heroine. She babbles and likes to bake, and I enjoyed her. But her mind changes on situations, almost on the same page. One minute she feels safe with the hero and next she's freaking out. I understand why given her background still. And her off-the-grid skills need serious work. West was not a memorable hero but he is equal parts bad ass and caring. Zanetti normally writes paranormal fiction, a few of which I've read and enjoyed even though it's not my go-to genre. She has better suspense stories from my perspective, however. Here she seems to want the reader to suspend disbelief almost on the same level as a paranormal reader would. Maybe more if the reader happens believes in vampires or demons, etc. 

Plots revolving around a cult are a tough topic to sell. I think writers are never sure how crazy to make them or how detailed to get. I was rolling my eyes more at the law enforcement angles actually though. There's definitely some unoriginal yet creepy cult ideas (like the Alpha and the Omega, the treatment of women, etc.) But I found the idea of West 'going undercover' because they thought he was the only person capable of using Pippa was a big stretch. They also all talk rather casually about West sleeping with Pippa which comes off absurd. Around 1/4 of the book, action and romance start to blip in and out of the picture. We also have a dog that drinks whiskey to throw in some humor. The atmosphere is perfect for a chilly or rainy, always dark weather and mostly taking place at small, isolated houses in the woods. I'd probably only recommend this for someone looking to kill time on a dreary day as passing entertainment.
(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.