Wednesday, August 26, 2020

August 26, 2020 - Staff Reviews


Creole Kingpin
By Meghan March
Release Date: March 10, 2020
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


3 Stars - As a long-time fan of the author, I was let down by this one just a little. I was satisfied overall but Magnolia and her man were almost too hardcore and corrupt for me at times. Anyone looking for an intense, down and dirty novel in the shady steamy New Orleans atmosphere won't be disappointed.

While this duet can be read separately, the ties in the multiple March character worlds make it feel like a series conclusion that we were eagerly awaiting. In that aspect, all leads and threads were pretty much squared away. Once I found out that Magnolia's beau was none other than the infamous Moses, I wasn't as interested, I will admit. Moses was the villian in previous tales and getting past that was hard for me.  And Magnolia, she's a badass with an buried deep heart of gold. She and I have absolutely nothing in common, and I couldn't find a shread of her personally relatable. I'm a lover of anti-heroes though so I found myself coming back for more of March's addictive story telling.


March's novels are not for the faint of heart. They're profane and raunchy but in a likable and unapologetic way for those who don't mind. Every chapter of hers feels like a cliffhanger. To start, our main characters are distrustful of each other yet attracted. Then, suddenly both the characters (and I myself as a reader) realize they've fallen in love. Depsite difficult and often dangerous circumstances, they have to find a way to be together. And this duet is set up no differently but, as usual, delivered in the most enthralling ways. A little over halfway through, things started to get really good. I can't say I entirely understood Mags or Moses's motivations to turn to "the dark side" (spoilers if I'm specific). But they seemed to have no other choice. And I could deeply feel their desperation for each other. Be aware this book ends with one of March's famous cliffhangers and maybe isn't quite up to her usual standards.
(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.