Wednesday, October 21, 2020

October 21, 2020 - Staff Reviews


The Best Man Plan

By Jaci Burton
Release Date: June 2, 2020
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


3 Stars - This slow burning friends to lovers romance isn't as cowboy as the cover suggested. And our heroine Erin is looking for a fling after her ruined wedding but that's not quite what she finds. A promising start to a series that featured so many friends and family members, it's hard to tell where it will go next.

Our hero Jason is the kind of man everyone wants to have around. He's supportive, fun, and of course, great with animals. He's gentle when needed but can get rough when the situation calls for it. Erin, on the other hand, I think is not portrayed in the best light. She could have used more positive attributes outside of her awesome family members and a type A personality. Burton has a great way of even with using third person point of view, I still get a strong guy voice verses girl voice, if you will. 

So, I related to Erin's need for organization and planning. And I get the title is The Best Man Plan. But the way she set her sights on Jason in the beginning rubbed me the wrong way. Using her self-proclaimed best friend since childhood solely for sex couldn't possibly have seemed like THAT good of an idea. And for Jason's part I was wanting to smack him and say "just be honest!" or "tell her how you feel!". I'm not the biggest fan of miscommunication stalling a romance out so I just wanted these two come together and talk. There was a like to like here though, particularly for fans of Lori Foster or Kristen Proby. This really was the light romance type complete with wine and puppies, just maybe a little steamier than usual. I'd say the weaknesses for me were Erin's rough edges and a slight lack of originality. I'm not sure this one sold me on grabbing the next one as soon as it hits bookshelves.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.