Tuesday, October 6, 2020

October 6, 2020 - Staff Reviews


 Wylde

By Sawyer Bennett
Release Date: August 4, 2020
Ebook Available from WV Reads!


3.5 Stars - One of the best entries in Bennett's series about this Arizona hockey team. This one is a minimalist sports romance, perfect easy and light read for a free evening with a charming hero and a quirky heroine. While the story isn't wild as it suggests, how much I enjoyed it sort of snuck up on me.

I had admittedly lost my love for this series after Dominick and Tacker, neither of which sucked me in. Wylde was a breath of fresh air, less broody and more fun. His unabashed ardor for the quiet and careful Clarke was a treat. Clarke's a proud but reserved bookworm who put up just a fair amount of resistance to him, given her previous heartaches. The story isn't particularly exciting and relatively simplistic in plot, but the more I read, the more I was flipping pages and enjoyed it.

Fans of Toni Aleo and Kendall Ryan's latest series will find much to like here. Wylde definitely claims to have a wild past, but Clarke's backstory is actually the more interesting. Their meet-cute didn't exactly draw me in, and I had to get a few chapter behind me before I was really sold. I'll confess there are not a lot of unique or memorable plot points to throw out here as to what kept me intrigued. But even with the lack of action or dynamic scenes, I was entertained and rooting for these two. As for this entry in the series, we do see not one but two couples weddings here so if that's spoiler-y for you, start at the beginning. Fans though will be happy to see that most of the team now is overtaken in happily ever afters. Wylde and Clarke's took maybe a bit of extra push and pull before they got there but it was worth it in the end.
 
(NS)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.