Tuesday, June 1, 2021

June 1, 2021 - Staff Reviews


 

The Power Couple
By Alex Berenson
Release Date: February 9, 2021
Ebook Available from WV Reads!

3 Stars - Intriguing story of FBI agent Rebecca and computer whiz Bryan aka The Power Couple. We're taken on a fast-paced ride through their life stories and constantly wondering what really makes each of them tick. Flashbacks abound as they search for their missing teenage daughter. With the exception of some really questionable main character decisions, it's a great thriller. Well written and sharp, it's a hard book to put down. 

I came to this book as a fan of the John Wells series and a mystery lover, and it's more or less convinced me the sub genre of domestic thrillers will never be a favorite of mine. My main problem with this novel is I like to have someone to root for, and by halfway through I wasn't sure who that was for me. Rebecca has an interesting, plausible career path in the FBI with a combination of close calls and boring assignments. Much of the beginning was all her and I was really interested in Bryan's mysterious demeanor. I actually felt more sympathetic toward him until I got his POV. Almost as if Berenson was like: now wait the husband's no angel either here. Then, there's the teens. I struggled with them. Kira and the nail polish remover... I'll just leave it at that.

There were fleeting glimpses of how happy they could be together and with their kids. And I wanted more of those times than I got for most of the book. Kira and Tony are at least "not awful" teenagers. They aren't brightest young adults but they brought some heart to the tale. I'm sure some readers will truly dislike Rebecca and Bryan. But then we'll fall back on the old everyone is human argument. And fictional characters don't have to be perfect or even nice. In a typical domestic thriller way though, these two people and their rocky marriage are in fact the majority of the story. The kidnapping does take a backseat until over halfway through. There are some uncomfortable scenes in this book (not violent or creepy) and the concept of wondering if you can ever truly know who you have married is well examined. I have to say it's a what the description says is what you get book. I was hoping for more on the whole espionage, globe-trotting angle but at least it had me hooked.

(NS)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful and geared towards the review, new arrival post only. The library does reserve the right to remove any negative posts that it deems inappropriate.